Home News Doctor finds nose pin screw in woman’s lung: “Extremely rare case.”

Doctor finds nose pin screw in woman’s lung: “Extremely rare case.”

Doctor finds nose pin screw in woman’s lung: “Extremely rare case.”

Dr. Debraj Jash, a lung specialist at Kolkata’s Medica Superspecialty Hospital, operated and removed the screw, in what he called an ”extremely rare case”.

A group of medical professionals in Kolkata were able to extract the gold nose pin’s screw from a woman’s lung after she inhaled it by accident. According to the BBC, Varsha Sahu, 35, wasn’t very worried at first after breathing in a piece of the nose pin she had been wearing since her wedding 16 or 17 years prior. She believed the pin had lodged in her stomach and would eventually come out of her digestive tract on its own.

But when she began to have health problems, such as breathing problems, things became much worse. She went to the doctor a month after inhaling the screw, claiming to have pneumonia and a persistent cough. Initially, she was prescribed medications, but they didn’t help.

After that, she consulted a pulmonologist, who conducted a chest X-ray and CT scan. During these tests, a little object that was ultimately identified as the nose pin screw was found trapped in her lung.


I was unaware that the screw was loose. I was simply chatting when I inhaled a deep breath. It entered my airway, and I was unaware of it. I believed it had entered my stomach,” Ms. Sahu said to the BBC.

The object was afterwards attempted to be removed from her lung by a pulmonologist using a fiberoptic bronchoscope, but he was unsuccessful. The patient was subsequently directed to Medica Superspecialty Hospital’s pulmonologist, Dr. Debraj Jash. Dr. Jash said they could need to have invasive surgery if the second try at using a bronchoscope didn’t work well.

“We sometimes hear reports of persons who have inhaled betel nuts or dry fruits, but these are often cases involving little children or adults over the age of 80. A thirty-something woman patient is an Exception, according to Dr. Jash. “Using a standard flexible bronchoscope to extract a sharp item is quite challenging. He clarified, “The thing had been in her lung for over two weeks, and tissues had developed around it.

He continued, “We had to exercise extreme caution because if the screw made contact with the patient’s extremely small airway during the extraction, it may injure them and result in bleeding, which could be catastrophic.

On the other hand, the screw was removed during his successful second bronchoscopy. He described it as a “very rare case” as well.

However, during his successful second bronchoscopy, the screw was removed. In addition, he called it a “very rare case”.